Mrs. Susan E. Burks

Atlanta Journal
Atlanta, Georgia

November 19, 1908

Transcribed and submitted by: 


Mrs. Susan E. Burks, an elderly lady of East Point, was run down and killed by one of the suburban trolley cars in that town Tuesday afternoon.  The casualty happened at 4 o’clock, at the corner of Washington Avenue and Main Street.   

Deafness was responsible for the tragic end of Mrs. Burks.  She was a deaf mute.  She waited at the street crossing to let an incoming express car go by, and then started across the tracks in front of the passenger car that was whirling along behind.  She did not see it, and she did not hear the whistle that the motorman was pulling. She was struck and never knew consciousness afterward. She lived about eight minutes.   

Mrs. W. H. Foster, one of Mrs. Burks’ four daughters, was notified of the terrible affair, over the telephone. She rushed at once to the scene, several blocks from her home, and fainted when she reached the spot where her mother lay inanimate and covered with blood.  She was returned to her home in a buggy.   

Mrs. Burks had nearly attained her 60th anniversary.  She would have been  60 on the 24th of December.  She and her husband were both deaf mutes, but none of their four daughters was so afflicted.   

Mrs. Burks is survived by 4 daughters--Mrs. Nora (W.H. Foster), Mrs. Ida Estes, Miss Rosa Burks, and Miss NELLIE BURKS. She has been making her home with Mrs. Foster, at the corner of Washington Avenue and Sims Street, East Point.  It was there that she was returning when the car hit her.    

Mrs. Burks was badly injured. Her skull was fractured at its base; she was deeply cut and bruised about her face, and one of her limbs was broken in two places.  

No blame seems to attach to the motorman of the car.  Dr. E.P. Overby, one of the few eye-witnesses of the affair, says that the motorman blew his whistle as he approached the crossing; but of course Mrs. Burks heard nothing.  The motorman says he threw on the emergency brake as he saw her start across in front of him, and brought the car to as quick a stop as could be made.  

“It all happened so quickly that I hardly knew anything about how she was struck.” says Dr. Overby.  I heard a rush and dull thud, and then saw Mrs. Burks, lying on the ground.  When I reached her the circulation had not been affected. She lived about eight minutes, but never was conscious.”   

The funeral will be held from the residence of Mrs. W.H. Foster in East Point Wednesday. 


GO TO: Text Site Map
770-382-3818 ext. 6283
13 N Wall Street
Cartersville, Georgia 30120

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator: Trey Gaines   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Linda Blum-Barton

          ©2002 - 2019 Bartow History Museum

Last modified: June 23, 2008