Chambers child

The Courant American Newspaper
Cartersville, Georgia
April 12, 1894, Page 1
Transcribed and submitted by: 

Chambers House Burned.

The dwelling house of Mr. W. C. Chambers, near Cassville, was burned Tuesday night, and caused the death of his youngest son, a boy about thirteen years old.

The house caught fire from a stove flue and had made considerable headway before it was discovered. Among other things which had been carried out was a Winchester rifle, which was laid down on the ground, and a feather bed was thrown on top of it, leaving only the barrel exposed.

It was decided to move them further from the burning house, and the boy thoughtlessly caught hold of the barrel, and gave the gun a pull. The hammer caught in the bed, and the gun was discharged, the ball passing through his body, cutting an artery, and he bled to death in about fifteen minutes. Those present did what they could for the boy, but could not stop the flow of blood.

Mr. Chambers lives on Mr. James Knight’s place, and is an industrious and hard working farmer. He lost a considerable part of his household goods, and the double affliction in the loss of his son, who was the youngest child and the pet of the household, is a terrible blow to the family.


GO TO: Text Site Map
770-382-3818 ext. 6283
13 N Wall Street
Cartersville, Georgia 30120

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator: Trey Gaines   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Linda Blum-Barton

          ©2002 - 2019 Bartow History Museum

Last modified: 9/16/2005