J. Bynum Collins

The Courant American
Cartersville, Georgia
April 10, 1890, page 8
Transcribed by:  

Hit On The Head.
J. Bynum Collins is Killed by Mike Goode, Jr.
Whiskey and Women the Cause of a Terrible Tragedy Near Pine Log Last Saturday Night.

Last Saturday night, near Pine Log, a terrible tragedy was enacted, which resulted in the killing of one of the participants.

The fight was between Mike H. Goode and J. Bynum Collins, two well known men of that locality. Collins received wounds which resulted in his death the next day and Goode is now in parts unknown.

The fight occurred in the roadside, about three miles from Pine Log, near the Cherokee line, and it was about 11 o’clock at night. A party of young people had been at the home of Elias Casey attending some kind of entertainment. After the festivities had broken up Goode and a friend, Robert McClure, acted as the escorts of the Casey girls and had started home. They had gotten some distance when Bynum Collins walked up to Sallie Casey, who was walking with Mike Goode, and asked “her company home.” The girl replied that her “company was engaged.” Collins resumption in attempting to take from Goode his girl did not please the latter and he remarked that “Collins must take me for a fool.”

Collins, who, it is said had been drinking, grew somewhat excited about this time, wheeled around to Goode, and asked him: “Did you call me a d---d fool?”

Goode denied saying anything of the kind and repeated what he did say, whereupon Collins, growing more excited and more insulting, burst out: “You are a G-d d---d liar, d—n you; you have been talking about me in this country and now I am ready for you!” advancing at the same time on Goode.

The two clinched and soon were in a desperate fight. First one was on top and then the other. They rolled over the ground and into a ditch, both used their fists with all the might of strong men. Both had something in their hands. It is said Collins had his knife and Goode a rock, though the witnesses to the affray could not definitely say in regard to this. Goode soon got the advantage and was dealing heavy blows on Collins’ head. The latter soon cried enough and expressed a willingness to stop the hostilities. They both got up, Collins picking up Goode’s hat and handing it to him. The two then parted, Collins going away with friends, McClure among the number, and Goode escorted the girl home.

It seems as if Collins did not think much of the injuries inflicted upon him by Goode. He went home and sat up some time laughing and talking with friends about the fight.

After Collins had sat up until after midnight, talking with McClure, the latter laid down across the bed, and while lying there, and before going to sleep, he saw Collins fall from his chair. He supposed at first that Collins had been nodding and in this way had fallen from his chair, but seeing that he still lay there he went to him, picked him up and put him on the bed, and Collins was never conscious afterwards.

Sunday night Collins breathed his last. His remains were brought to this city and were laid to rest in Oak Hill cemetery Tuesday morning, Rev. Mr. Ellis, pastor of the Methodist church officiating at the funeral ceremony.

The affair caused a great sensation in the vicinity of Pine Log. Both men were well known and had strong friends. Collins was a man about 45 years of age. He has a large number of relatives in this county. At the last term of our superior court he was divorced from his wife and had a daughter about seventeen years of age. Goode is the son of Mr. Abram Goode, a man who stands well in his community, and is a brother of Mr. Cale Goode, of this city.

An inquest was held over the body of Bynum Collins last Monday by Squire Adair. The testimony was substantially as the statement given above. Several witnesses were introduced, but the main one was Sallie Casey, who was the only eye-witness to the whole of the affair. As to the wounds of Collins Dr. Lindsay Johnson, of this city, made an examination and found that the skull was badly bruised in several places, but not fractured, other physicians present at the examination concurring in the opinion. The jury holding the inquest found the facts made it a case of justifiable homicide.

Young Goode, as soon as he had heard that the fight terminated fatally, left Pine Log and has not been heard of since. It is supposed that he came to Cartersville and took one of the night trains. As soon as he hears of the verdict of the jury he will probably return and stand trial.


The Courant American
Cartersville, Georgia
April 17, 1890, Page 5

His Body Exhumed.
A Second Inquest Over the Remains of Bynum Collins.
The Skull Frightfully Mashed In – The Story of the Terrible Tragedy at Pine Log in Full.

[Almost 2 full columns—an account of the second inquest, with a summary of witnesses.]


GO TO: Text Site Map
770-382-3818 ext. 6283
13 N Wall Street
Cartersville, Georgia 30120

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator: Trey Gaines   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Linda Blum-Barton

          ©2002 - 2019 Bartow History Museum

Last modified: May 9, 2006