George W. Davis

The Free Press
Cartersville, Georgia
June 26, 1879, Page 3
Transcribed by:  

Mr. G. W. Davis Crushed to Death.

Our community was shocked Monday when the morning passenger train arrived here with the remains of a young man raised in this county, the son of Mr. Joseph Davis, living in Stamp Creek district.  It appears that the deceased has been employed by the Keystone bridge company on the Cincinnati southern railroad for several months.  He was in Chattanooga on Sunday with friends and left there to return to his place of employment.  The Chattanooga Times in its account of the disaster, says that, about 8 o’clock Sunday morning a very serious accident occurred at Cave Spring, on the Cincinnati Southern railroad, which resulted in the killing of two men, fatally injuring a third and seriously hurting three others.  Col. Neely went up the road with a few friends, his main business being to take out money to pay off laborers.

Col. Neely and his friends were on the engine, as there were no passenger cars attached, and were consequently made unwilling witnesses to the unfortunate accident.  Just after the engine had left Boyce station, several men, laborers on the road, were observed on the pilot, and as it is positively against orders to ride there, the engineer and Col. Neely ordered them off.  They did not get off however, and just before they reached Cave Spring, the engineer shut off the steam for the purpose of coupling some flat cars, which were standing on the main track at the rock crusher.  The engine commenced slipping on the track which was wet and slippery when within a few yards of the flat car.  The fireman had run out on the running board of the engine to make the coupling.  He saw the men on the pilot and told them to get out of the way.  The engine continued to slip, and the engineer reversed the lever and opened the sand pipe, which, however did not stop it and he opened the valves and put on steam.  As this time the engine was within a few feet of the flat car and the men on the pilot began to see their peril and endeavored to escape. But before they could do so the engine had struck the car, and slided up on the pilot, “telescoping” it, thus pinioning one of the men to the head of the boiler, which killed him instantly.  His name was JERRY ROBERTS, a negro who lived at Marietta, Ga.  A white man, named GEO. W. DAVIS, who lived near Cartersville, Ga., was so badly injured about the head and chest that he only lived five hours.  Another white man, named J. L. Gregg who lived near the place of the accident, is so badly bruised about the chest and abdomen, that it is believed he will die soon.  Geo. McDonald, who lives at Boston, Mass., was also on the pilot and received some very serious injuries, though not necessarily fatal.  Several messengers were immediately dispatched for medical aid, and very soon two physicians were on the spot, and rendered all the aid they could for the relief of the wounded.

The Times says the railroad management very deeply regret this accident, as they hoped to complete the road without any serious accident.  Every one seems to entirely exonerate the road from any blame.

Mr. Davis was about twenty-five years old.  His remains were carried home on Monday.


GO TO: Text Site Map
770-382-3818 ext. 6283
13 N Wall Street
Cartersville, Georgia 30120

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator: Trey Gaines   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Linda Blum-Barton

          ©2002 - 2019 Bartow History Museum

Last modified: April 6, 2007