Courant American News, May 5, 1887

The Courant American Newspaper
Cartersville, Georgia

May 5, 1887 Page 1:

Transcribed and submitted by: 

Adairsville Notes

There is buried near the Dearing place, in the southern limit of our town, and within thirty feet of where they fell, two Confederate pickets. During the past week their graves have been handsomely inclosed with a neat and substantial picket fence, nicely painted, and a headboard erected, bearing on its face this inscription:

“Two Unknown Confederate Pickets.
Who were Killed at this Place, in the
Discharge of the Highest Duty
Known to Civilized Man.
Pause Here and Honor the Spot
Where the Patriot Heroes Sleep!
Think of the Immortal Bivouac of
The Brave and True, where
They are Known.”

On the south side of the inclosure is a handsome shield, bearing on its face a Confederate battle flag, with a broken shaft, below which are the words, “In Memoriam.” The whole structure is a very tasty design, the work of Mr. Alex. Capers.


Administrator’s Sale.

Agreeably to an order of the Court of Ordinary of Bartow county, Georgia, will be sold at auction, at the court-house door of said county, on the first Tuesday in June 1887, within the legal hours of sale, the following property to wit: A certain tract or parcel of land lying and being in the 5th district and 3d section of Bartow county, Georgia, as follows: All of lot of land No. 60, containing 160 acres, more or less, except 4 ˝ acres off the southwest corner of said lot, which was formerly deeded off of said lot by Nathan Land to John Crawford. Also all that part of lot of land No. 61, on the south side of Two Run creek, and to the middle of the current or channel of said creek, it being 40 acres, more or less.

Also 40 acres of land, more or less, off the north side of lot of land No. 86, formerly deeded by Lewis Tumlin to Nathan Land, 3d October, 1848.

Also 4 acres of land in the southwest corner of lot No. 85, fully described in a deed to the same, executed by Robert Russell to Nathan Land, 1st January, 1848.

Also 7 ˝ acres, more or less, of lot of land No. 59, and 7 acres of land, more or less, of lot No. 40, fully described in a deed to the same from John Crawford to Nathan Land on the 13th day of December, 1851, containing in all 265 acres, more or less, and known as the Nathan Land place, and whereon the said administratrix now resides; said land well improved, frame dwelling, six rooms, with necessary outbuildings and tenant houses; 160 acres, more or less, cleared, balance finely timbered; good well. Also one house and lot in Cartersville, said county, fronting on Tennessee street, said lot containing one-half acre, more or less, with good well of water thereon; bounded north by Puckett street, south by lot of Dr. Thomas H. Baker, east by lot of Dave Underwood, and west by Tennessee street. Sold as the property of Christopher B. Conyers, late of said county, deceased, for the purpose of paying debts and distribution.

Terms of sale – cash. Fanny H. Conyers, Adm’x of C. B. Conyers, dec’d. Dated this 4th day of May, 1887.


Guardian’s Sale.

By virtue of an order from the Court of Ordinary of Bartow county, will be sold before the court house door in Cartersville, said county, within the legal sale hours, on the first Tuesday in June next, the undivided one-fifth interest in forty-five acres, more or less, of lots of land Nos. 690 and 691, being fifteen acres of west side of 690, and thirty acres, more or less, of 691, extending to the west bank of the Etowah river; also the same undivided interest in fifteen acres off of the west side of lot 679, all in the 17th district and third section of said county. Sold as the property of Cora L. Milam, minor. Terms of sale –cash. Madison Milam, Guardian of Cora L. Milam.


Georgia – Bartow County.

To all whom it may concern: B. A. Iseman has in due form applied to the undersigned for permanent letters of administration on the estate of William Cullinanna, late of said county deceased, and I will pass upon said application on the first Monday in June 1887. Given under my hand and official signature this 2d day of May, 1887. J. A. Howard, Ordinary.


Georgia – Bartow County.

To all whom it may concern: W. W. Wheeler, administrator of W. D. Wheeler, deceased, has in due form applied to the undersigned for leave to sell a part of the real estate belonging to the estate of said deceased, and said application will be heard on the first Monday in June 1887. This 3d day of May, 1887.


Dangerous Dynamite.

A Terrible Explosion on the East and West Extension At Broken Arrow. Thomas Lawhon, of This Place, Seriously Hurt With Others, and a Negro Killed.

About a hundred and fifty hands are at present working on the East and West extension at Broken Arrow, and work has been pushed forward as rapidly as possible. Saturday, about noon, a force was employed in blasting out a way through a rocky ledge. Messrs. Tom Cantrell, formerly supervisor of the East and West, and Thomas Lawhon, of this place, had charge of the work of placing and firing of the dynamite. Three holes had been drilled into the rock, into which dynamite had been inserted. Two immense cans of powder were placed underneath, thus making a most fearful charge, capable of displacing considerable rock. The dynamite was touched off, and it was noticed that only two of the cartridges exploded simultaneously. A few minutes later the last one, which was very inferior, fired, and it was thought the whole charge had been exploded.

The men, with Lawhon and a negro named Ed Henderson, also of this place, in front, proceeded to the spot to see the result and remove the debris. They had just arrived at the spot over the two kegs of powder when the latter exploded, throwing Mr. Lawhon twenty feet in the air and unceremoniously landing him in a neighboring sapling. In his aerial flight a two hundred pound boulder struck him across the thighs, another rock hit him in the back, while his mouth was somewhat disfigured by still another rock. He was taken down from the sapling, when it was found that, while his injuries were serious, they were not necessarily fatal. He is at present doing very well, and will be at work soon.

Ed Henderson, a colored boy from this place, had a most miraculous escape also. He was hurled through space, and when he landed against a bank near by he was covered to his neck in debris. It took several men some time to bring him out. Only his head and one shoulder remained above ground. Aside from a few injuries and a bad shake up Ed is doing very well. He was brought here Monday afternoon and was able to walk to his home, several blocks away. Charley Flemister, another colored boy, was, it is thought, fatally hurt by a large rock striking him on the thigh, breaking it. He was hurled some distance, and when found was insensible. His death was momentarily expected at last accounts.

Capt. Thomas Cantrell was considerably shaken up. He happened to be in the rear of the whole party, which probably saved his life. He was blown to the ground while in the act of leaving the spot. His injuries are light, but his escape was indeed a miraculous one.

The report was heard for miles, and soon crowds were on the spot caring for the wounded. Capt. J. B. Northcutt, who was a mile away, heard the report and, it is said, entertained some apprehensions as to the world’s future existence. It is a wonder more damage was not done. The charge was a large one and the men were in close proximity. The balance of the hands were somewhat demoralized, but have settled down to work again.


A Blow From a Bludgeon.

In the Hands of “Dee” Wofford Lays out His Cousin “Babe” Wofford.

Sunday about sundown on Ordinary Howard’s place a few miles from town occurred a tragedy that resulted in the death of “Babe” Wofford, a colored boy about fourteen years of age. “Dee” Wofford, an eighteen year old cousin stands charged with the crime of “Babe’s” murder, and he is now in our county jail awaiting an investigation. From the evidence given in before Coroner Frank Patterson and his jury, the facts are as follows: The deceased had been playing with his cousin’s smaller sister and in some way made her cry. This incensed Dee and he immediately proceeded to castigate Babe. He advanced towards him cursing all the while, and as he approached picked up a poplar chair post about three feet long and rather heavy at the end. Babe shoved his cousin who was larger and older of the two, aside and warned him to desist abusing him as he was only playing with the little girl and meant no harm. The witnesses, who by the way are of the family of the deceased, all swear that, without warning Dee struck Babe behind the right ear, the blow breaking his neck. He lingered until about seven o’clock next morning when he died, unconscious all the while.

Dee’s father turned him over to deputy Sheriff Williams Monday about noon. The boy says that the deceased was approaching him with an open knife and had made a thrust at him, cutting his coat, when the fatal blow was given. He takes his confinement easy, talks freely of the killing and does not seem to fear the result of a trial. The coroner’s jury in their verdict failed to name the crime as one of murder but we understand that unless some other evidence is forthcoming such will be the verdict of a jury in July.


GO TO: Text Site Map
770-382-3818 ext. 6283
13 N Wall Street
Cartersville, Georgia 30120

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator: Trey Gaines   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Linda Blum-Barton

          ©2002 - 2019 Bartow History Museum

Last modified: June 21, 2006